The up-to-date Willson lathe shown at the Machine Tools Trade Exhibition of 1920. Contained within the left-hand cabinet leg the electric motor drove to a 6-speed gearbox with drive transmitted to a 4-speed gearbox built into the headstock - the total of 24 speeds spanning a very wide and useful range. The drive was clutched - controlled by a long bar running above and along the bed - and the lathe fitted with a separate shaft to drive the sliding and surfacing feeds, these being engaged by a star-shaped handwheel on the face of the apron. Feeds could be set for automatic disengagement by sliding stops fitted to a control rod running along the front of the bed - the latter also provided with a handle for the instant start and stop of the feed.
Location of the first Willson premises
Inside the second Willson factory. Note the very long planer with what appears to be 28 lathe saddles clamped ready for machining
The cake presented to one of the staff on their 70th birthday
The Willson factory as it appeared in the late 1930s