Completed in September 1899 the first batch of lathes must have been immediate success for one of these was sold into Switzerland through the agency of L. Ariste Gindrat, a Swiss citizen who had lived in Waltham and had an intimate knowledge of the town's machine shops and their ability to turn out work of the highest quality. As result of that initial sale, over one hundred lathes followed with some examples, marketed by Breguet and Juvenia being badged as if manufactured by themselves. As Waltham's reputation spread to the watch and clock makers and repairers of France and Germany orders for standard and special machines began to arrive from them as well. For the first ten or fifteen years of the Company's existence. a large percentage of its total output was sent abroad - the very first export order coming from England, in 1899.
Apart from lathes, a range of other special machines was made, including, in 1899, an automatic gear cutting machine, the design of which became so popular that for many years it was the one of the most important items in the Waltham Machine Works' catalogue.
In 1910, Mr. F.O.Wells, of Wells Brothers Company of Greenfield, suggested that Waltham design a small machine for milling threads on gauges and, so successful was this new product, that the design was quickly adapted to make it more suitable for general work, and many examples were sold.
In 1914, at the outbreak of the First World War, sales to continental Europe collapsed, but greatly increased orders from Great Britain offset this loss to a large extent. In addition, thread-milling and gear-cutting machines were in great demand in the USA and the factory found no difficulty in obtaining work manufacturing critically-dimensioned tools and gauges for the munitions trade.
Even though newly enlarged, the factory was soon too small to absorb the vastly increased demand and as a result the manufacture of bench lathes ceased and work was concentrated in areas where the factory's strengths in design and workmanship could be most profitably employed. After the hectic war years the factory continued to exploit its ability to design and manufacture, to the very highest standards and tightest tolerances, thread-milling and gear-cutting machines, sub-presses and dies - as well as undertaking complex commissions to design and build one-off machines for special purposes. The Waltham Machine Works was, it was said, were the toolmaker's toolmaker.
Besides building milling and gear-cutting machines, Waltham also made the cutters to use in them and, during 1918, the original wooden building was restored and equipped with production machinery to increase the output of these items. In 1924 the word "Waltham" was granted as a Trade Mark, and registered at the US Patent Office.
The late 1920s and early 1930s, the years of the "great depression", were especially difficult for machine-tool makers and it was at this time that the conservative Waltham policy of holding back a large portion of profits for future emergencies enabled them to use their highly-skilled workmen to not only make newly-designed machines for the factory's own use but also in repairing and rebuilding existing mechanical equipment so as to be ready for the next upturn in trade.
World War Two brought greatly increased activity and, once again, the factory proved too small to handle all the work offered. On December 1st. 1941, Mr. Ellis, who was in failing health, sold his half of the business to his partner and Edward Blake of Newton, head of a sales organisation specialising in small machines and tools - who also marketed a machine built for him by Waltham for the relief sharpening of the chamfer on taps. So ended a partnership of over forty-three years - Mr. Ellis died in January 1942.
During the war another much more complex machine, for grinding the flutes of taps was also designed and built for Mr Blake (after he became a full partner) and this successful machine enjoyed wide sales. The pressures of war work finally forced another break with the past when the company ceased production of its original product - precision punches and dies - items that had always been under the direct and personal supervision of Mr. Ellis
In October 1947 Mr. Blake withdrew from the firm to devote all of his time to his sales business and the Waltham Machine Works were then carried on by Mr. Sanderson, now the sole owner.
From the firm's earliest days the designing and building of special machines was a central part of their activities and lathes and other machines that became part of the regular product line were all designed by the owners, who also conceived and made many of the machine tools required for production within the factory. During the first fifty years of the small Company's life more than 160 different precision, special-purpose machines had been designed and built, in addition to many others to customers' drawings.
On December 30th. 1948 the company was restructured as the Waltham Machine Works, Inc., and formed with the intention of taking over the business of Waltham Machine Works; however, due to problems with the mortgagee, this was not done until June 15th. 1952, when the transfer was made and Mr. Sanderson became president and treasurer. In May Mr. George W. Hoar purchased all of Mr. Sanderson's stock in the corporation and the directors elected George W. Hoar treasurer, and his son, Norman W. Hoar, president. Mr. Sanderson had been partner, owner or president of the Waltham Machine Works for over fifty-seven years.
Home Machine Tool Archive Machine-tools Sale & Wanted
Machine Tool Manuals Catalogues Belts Books Accessories
Waltham Machine Works - Company History
Waltham Home Page WALTHAM Company History
Waltham Milling Machine Other Waltham Products
If you have a Waltham lathe the writer would be pleased to hear from you