Weiler Ergodor lathe
Completely enclosed and so proof against the ingress of dirt and swarf, the screwcutting and feeds gearbox had oil-bath lubrication and changes of feed rate and screwcutting pitch made by a selector dial with a retracting handle for the Norton-type gear cluster and the connecting "multiplier" gearing. In combination with the headstock-mounted feed-ratio selector a total of 90 different rates of feed and pitch were available. Longitudinal feed rates spanned 0.020 to 1.25 mm by changewheels and 0.032 to 2 mm via toothed belts with the cross feed being arranged to give a rate twice as fine. Screwcutting, using a 6 mm pitch leadscrew (or, as an option, 4 t.p.i.), gave 30 metric pitches from 0.2 to 12 mm; 38 inch from 2 to 80 t.p.i.; 20 module from 0.1 to 4 and 30 D.P. from 6 to 60. Leadscrew and powershaft reversal was through a built-in spur-wheel reversing mechanism with shear pins protecting both drives.
Double walled to support both ends of all shafts and provide an oil reservoir in its base, the apron held the usual worm and wheel mechanism to pick up the drive to the sliding and surfacing feeds. Turned by a power-feed shaft of hexagon section passing through the worm gear, drive was transmitted through a friction clutch with the direction of feed (sliding or surfacing) selected and then engaged by a single lift-up/press-down lever. A most useful feature of the lathe was its ability to automatically disengage both longitudinal and cross feeds against positive stops fitted with adjustable screws; in addition, when the longitudinal feed was set towards the headstock, selecting power cross feed caused the drive to operate away from the operator - an obvious and sensible setting, but the reverse of the setting used by many other makers. Full-circle, the carriage handwheel was equipped with a large micrometer dial, this (like all others on the lathe) being crisply engraved and given a non-glare satin-chrome finish.
Running on V and flat ways the saddle was of considerable length with a travel of 430 mm. The underside was lined with a wear-resistant plastic that not only gave a particularly smooth travel but also the lowest possible "un-stick" force when using the carriage handwheel - handy when taking short, repetitive cuts by hand.
With hand-scraped ways the compound slide rest was of the fully machined type with fully enclosed and hardened acme-form feed screws - that for the cross slide being case-hardened and ground to prolong its accurate life. Both feed-screw nuts were adjustable, to remove backlash, and the zeroing micrometer dials were engineered so that locking screws were not needed to maintain a chosen setting. Full length, the cross slide had a travel of 150 mm and was fitted with two longitudinal T-slots at the rear on which could be mounted, via a T-slotted raiser block, a rear toolpost. The top slide, able to be swivelled through 90° each side of central, had a usefully long travel of 100 mm (4") but was fitted as standard with just a simple, single-tool clamp.
Tailstocks, supplied with either a lever or screw feed barrel, could be set over for taper turning and had a hardened and ground No. 3 Morse taper barrel, engraved with a ruler scale at 1 mm intervals and with 85 mm of travel through a honed bore. The barrel lock was of the split-cylinder type, powerful and certain in action. Centres were self-ejected by the acme feed screw, this being fitted with a zeroing micrometer dial engraved with 0.02 mm divisions. Clamping to the bed was by a direct screw, operated by a lever that could be lifted, turned and dropped against spring pressure to position it as required.
Electrical equipment was 3-phase A.C. with neutral wiring on 380V 50-cycles in accordance with German standarsd VDE0113 and DIN 57113. All electrical elements were housed in the tailstock-end bed plinth with the transformers, contactors, motor overload switch and fuses, etc. neatly located and marked. Control buttons and switches were on an angled plate within easy reach of the operator - their number and type depending upon the lathes precise specification but all including an emergency stop button, push-button overload and no-volt release and a main-motor reversing switch. A plug was provided as part of the standard equipment to power the extra-cost light unit as was a master switch, this being mounted on the right hand face of the stand next to the main control panel.
In addition to a complete electrical installation, supplied as standard with every new lathe was a 165 mm driving plate; a headstock spindle reduction sleeve from 5 Morse taper to a No. 3; two male No. 3 Morse centres; 1 bed-mounted carriage stop; a single toolpost; a set of 9 changewheels comprising: 21t, 25t, 28t, 33t, 63t, 80t, 84t, 120t and 127t; a set of spanners; a pressure oil gun; 5 shear pins and an instruction manual.
Occupying a floor space of 1450 x 640 mm the Ergodor had an overall length of 1500 mm, stood 1300 mm high, weighed approximately 1000 kg and was finished in Grey to RAL-7031 or, optionally, in green to RAL-6011..