Scholze & Aster Lathes
Alles über das Aussehen und die Spezifikation dieser sauber gestalteten, gut spezifizierten Drehmaschinen mit Vorgelege und Gewindeschneide sagt: „Deutschland, 1920er und 1930er". Obwohl nicht absolut bestätigt, wird jetzt angenommen, dass alle aus der Fabrik von Scholze & Aster in Dresden, Deutschland, stammten.
Everything about the appearance and specification of these neatly designed, well-specified, backgeared and screwcutting lathes says: "Germany, 1920s and 1930s". Although not absolutely confirmed, it is now believed that all came from the factory of Scholze & Aster in Dresden, Germany.
Wenn Sie Werbeliteratur von (oder über) dieses Unternehmen haben, würde der Autor diese gerne in diesen Abschnitt des Werkzeugmaschinenarchivs aufnehmen.
The last lathe shown on this page - on a pedestal stand with treadle-drive - is also believed to be by Scholze & Aster, though there is a chance that it might be by Oscar Ehrlich). It was imported by the London dealer George Adams, a man with close connections to Germany, the well-established agent for Pittler lathes and known for less-expensive re-branded Lorch and Boley lathes for watchmakers.
The name "Aster" - conveniently cast into the face of an easily fitted tool tray - would have been chosen as sufficiently English to disguise the machine's origins, and it has, of course, also been found with other names in continental Europe as well as New Zealand and Australia.
Dating from 1895 to 1910 and with a 4.75" centre height and taking 20" between centres, the lathe was backgeared and screwcutting and offered on various stands. The most common mount appears to have been a particularly well-designed, all-cast-iron pedestal type with a built-in treadle drive system, a fitted compartment for the changewheels and the flywheel overhung from the left-hand face.
Of cantilever form, the wide bed should have been free from distortion when clamped to its base support and included a large-capacity detachable gap that, when removed, allowed a job up to 16" in diameter to be turned. A workman-like device, the lathe was built to a useful specification that included a headstock spindle bored through to clear 0.9", tumble reverse to the leadscrew drive, backgear, split clasp nuts on the apron, a set-over tailstock with a proper barrel clamp (rather than the "split" casting then so common). One final clue to the lathe's quality, an oil reservoir and dipper rod fitted to the tailstock - so there was no excuse for not lubricating (usually with poisonous white lead, not oil) the "back centre" or "poppet" it was then known..