Introduced in the early 1940s, during WW2, one might have expected the beautifully constructed and compact Schaublin SV11-A and SV11-B milling machines to have been a logical development of the earlier SV11, but this was not the case, the SV11 developing into the much sturdier, stand-mounted SV12 while the SV11A and SV11-B were distinctly different in design. However, the concept and general arrangement of all three machines was similar, with each able to perform as either a horizontal or vertical miller, though the SV11-A and SV11-B did not share the ability of the SV11 in being able to mount, on its vertical knee, a selection of plain horizontal or universal tilting and swivelling tables or various kinds of dividing and indexing attachments. The only fitting on the A and B Models resembled the knee from a conventional milling machine - but mounted on a boss that allowed it to be rotated through 90° each side of level. As the more versatile toolmaker's model, the SV11-A had a 420 x 120 mm table that could swung 45° each side of horizontally, giving it the useful ability to be set at compound angles for awkward jobs. The table's horizontal feed was not on the table itself, but on the vertical table, this running in V-slides on a separate casting arranged to move vertically in ways formed on the front face of the column. Although it used the same main body casting and drive system, the SV11-B was intended for production use and had a conventional knee running direct in vertical ways machined into column's front face. The 420 x 147 mm table had a screw feed for the in-and-out travel with levers used for the horizontal and vertical; it could be swung 50° horizontally each side of central - but not, of course (lacking the swivel bracket), inclined. T-slots on both tables were identical being 11 mm wide on 34 mm spacing.
Table travels on the SV11-A were 150 mm longitudinally, 80 mm in traverse and 150 mm vertically - and on the SV11-B 170 mm longitudinally, 60 mm in traverse and 150 mm vertically. The usual type of large and clearly-engraved Schaublin angled-face, zeroing micrometer dials were fitted to all the table feeds, the handwheel for the knee rise and fall being mounted to the left-hand face of the column and the drive being turned through 90° by bevel gears.
Running in high-precision anti-friction bearings, the No. 2 Morse taper 13.75 mm bore spindle could accept reduction bushes to take Schaublin W10 and W12 collets. Drive came from a single or 2-speed motor of around 0.5 h.p. mounted partially within the column (it protruded from the rear face) and fitted with a 4-step "A" section V-belt pulley that drove to an overhung jackshaft immediately above it. The second shaft carried a matching 4-step pulley and, between that and the bearing housing, the double-V final drive pulley. Spindle speeds appear to have differed; some machines, with a 2-speed motor, having 195, 315, 510, 605, 945, 975, 1575 and 2915 r.p.m. while the maker's technical literature also listed sixteen speeds that spanned a generous and very useful range: from a low of 235 through 332, 470, 598, 665, 705, 850, 996, 1205, 1410, 1700, 1800, 2000, 2550, 3615 to 5100 r.p.m.
Just one vertical head was available, a plain type without quill feed that was secured on the underside of the overarm with its drive shaft fitting into the nose of the horizontal spindle.
Mounted on its maker's stand the machine's dimensions were 805 x 600 x 1380 mm (32" x 24" x 60") with a weight of approximately 270 kg..