Based on a design proposal made in the late 1950s by a Mr. Sandham and Mr. Wilmore - lecturers at what used to be the Loughborough Training College (apparently in conjunction with what was described at the time as: a panel of Instructors and Organisers) - the 5.125" x 14" Raglan training lathe utilised the same bed section, saddle, tailstock, compound-slide assembly and apron as the Raglan Little John lathe. However, no backgear was fitted, nor an screwcutting mechanism and, unfortunately the feed screws and nuts were not the Acme type as used on all other Raglan lathes but, for some unaccountable reason, of the "square" type.
With a 1.031" bore (7/8" capacity), the No. 3 Morse taper spindle ran in Timken taper roller bearings and was driven by a 1/2 hp single or 3-phase motor (externally-mounted beneath the headstock on early versions, enclosed on later) through a 3-step flat belt pulley to give speeds of 1200, 750 and 300 rpm. As an option (though rarely fitted) a 2-speed 3-phase motor was also available that provided a much more useful range of speeds: 125, 250, 350, 600, 700 and 1200 rpm.
Like the Little John and later 5-inch models, it was a very rigid lathe with the headstock and bed cast as one; unfortunately, its limited speed range and hand-feed-only design, meant that it was suitable only simpler types of model engineering and experimental work. However, although intended as an inexpensive training lathe it was, like all other Raglan products, sold at a premium price: for example, in 1965 it was listed at £119 : 10 : 0d., a sum only a little less than the £128 : 8 : 0d asked for a backgeared and screwcutting Myford ML7 fitted out to the same specification with motor, switchgear, stand and chip tray.
Although offered primarily as a training lathe for use in schools and colleges, another version was marketed as a second-operation machine for production use. This very rare model had a lever-operated Burnerd "Multi-size" collet closer, a cross-slide with both 4-way and rear toolposts, a 4-position carriage stop and the option of a bed-mounted 6-station capstan head and a rack-operated cross-slide cut-off unit (with its own saddle and bed fittings). The cross-slide was equipped with a rotating multi stop - adapted from the one used on the full-specification Little John and "5-inch" capstan lathes. Fitted as standard, a 1 h.p. 3-phase motor gave three speeds of 300, 750 and 1200 r.p.m. However, as an option, a model listed "Special" could also be had; this version was fitted with a 1 .h.p. 3-phase motor with a brake on its spindle that gave spindle speeds of 2,500, 1450 and 725 r.p.m.. In addition, a "Micro Stop Start Switch was also fitted. The machine was expensive: at more than twice the price of the ordinary version it cost, in 1966 (with motor, switchgear and collet chuck--but no collets) between £266 and £316--and few can have been sold. The 6-station turret unit was an extra £81 : 5s : 0d and coolant £27 : 6s : 0d.
In all its forms the "Loughborough" was 37-inches long, 18-inches wide, weighed approximately 225 lbs and was manufactured until the early 1970s.
One puzzle is why the writer could never find a Loughborough's operator's instructions and parts manual. Every lathe would have been sent out with one, but all must have ended up in the waste paper basket for it was not until 2019 that he finally managed to find a copy.