Cincinnati introduced their first tool and cutter grinder in 1889 - and continued to built them for nearly 100 years. By 1930 their standard model was listed as the 11/2, this being replaced in 1931 by the No. 2., a machine that was to become universally popular in markets world-wide. Built in both the United States and the United Kingdom - in the Company's large Birmingham factory - it was to remain largely unchanged during its production run. However, the various sales and technical specification catalogues produced over the years do show a number of changes were made to both the machine and the range of accessories. Hopefully, the pictures below, and on the following pages, will give a near-complete picture of the No. 2 and its numerous attachments.
1931 and the first of the Cincinnati No. 2 Tool & Cutter Grinders
1931: a clear, cut-away view of the drive system and rising column mechanism
Top right: the "Universal" double-swivel workhead, a heavyweight design copied by many other makers of tool & cutter grinders. Fitted with adapter bushes it was used to hold cylindrical cutters
Ball bearing spindle - as illustrated in 1931
Ball bearing spindle - as illustrated in 1938
The Cincinnati No. 2 Tool & Cutter Grinder as it appeared in 1934
The Cincinnati No. 2 Tool & Cutter Grinder as manufactured during the 1940s and 1950s